It's Over Already?

Ah, the first annual Ndel's What the Heck Year Was That?

The Year of the Earth Ox evokes stability and dependability. The Ox is a practical work animal, while the Earth element is steady and firm. Together, they create a kind of plodding energy that can be exasperating. Still, progress will be made in 2009; it will occur in slow, barely perceptible increments. If you stay patient and keep your nose to the grindstone, you will make the most of this ponderous energy.

Oxen place great emphasis on authority and tradition. Therefore, 2009 will lay an especially heavy burden on world leaders. Government officials, CEOs and community organizers will be expected to correct society's ills. If they slack off, they'll be thrown by the wayside. Substance is
always favored over style in the Year of the Ox.

My thoughts are stream of consciousness, so please forgive. And rant. Agree or disagree. Just be, okay?

The World

There is a black man in the White House and he ain't guarding nobody but the people of the United States. Barack Obama is da man. I still think this. Totally understand the Nobel Peace Prize. He is freakin' awesome and I give him an A-. I give him the minus for not totally dismantling some of those Bush era big brother tactics. I am guessing we will have to demand that from him. Let's do it.

What's up with Netanyahu? I think he's a bit jealous of Barack, his wife is hotter.

Was it a conspiracy that both Putin and Obama had shirtless pics published?







Hilary is doing a great job as Secretary of State.

Bill has behaved himself. I'm surprised.


The Idiot Box

Reality peeps really should be considered challenged. I am sick of OctoMom, Jon and Kate, assholes who kill their ex-wives, super duper assholes who put their kids up to lying to the entire nation, as well as big bootied, no talent beauties that parlay that beauty into weekly tell alls. I don't care that Bill and Guiliana are married. Or that there are survivors or dinks travelling the world. I'm okay with dangerous jobs and pet rescuers, but please, spare us the psychopaths, er, I mean attention whores.

What? NCIS is the most watched TV series? How the heck did that happen? It's not interesting, the stories are simple minded. What's the big deal? And don't get me started on why aren't uniformed people investigating Navy crimes... No matter how cute I think LL and Chris are, that show is stupid too.



I am a Gleek. I love Glee. Jane Lynch is a national treasure. I haven't even seen the debut episode that
everyone says is much better than the episodes I have seen. I highly recommend it. And don't ask me if it's like High School Musical. I have no idea.

Mercy on NBC is underrated. It's smart, funny, realistic with just enough soap opera to keep you guessing. Try checking it out. I also like HawthoRNe. I know that the critics are trashing it, but Michael Vartan is almost always worth tuning in for.

I can't wait for the last season of Lost. Technically, I know this is a 2010 item, but I just wanted to prepare you for my obsession.

I am so over Grey's Anatomy. I might be over Fringe; I haven't decided.

True Blood is still great. I still don't get Entourage. I am mad I no longer get Showtime so I did not see the last season of Dexter or Weeds.

I love my DVR; it's the only way I can keep up with all this drivel.

The Big Screen

My movie going dropped off significantly since Cam came on the scene, but I got out to a few flicks this year and my favorite was:

Star Trek. Yup, most fun I had this year at the movies. And I am no fangirl. Although I'm still not happy with the casting of Zoe Saldana as Uhura. However, on the flip side, I am very happy with the casting of Chris Pine.

I also enjoyed The Proposal, District 9, The Soloist, Precious and The Princess & the Frog.

I have yet to see Up in the Air and Avatar. The little, independent films will have to wait for viewing on cable.

While I am on the subject of movies, why do they keep putting Miley Cyrus in movies? She can't act and she can't sing. For that matter, why do I keep seeing Amy Adams in films? I don't see anything special about her either. I have yet to see a Nancy Meyers film that I like (It's Complicated), but I think that the NY & LA cognoscenti like to see themselves in her films (upper middle class to rich, urbane white folk). And no matter what anyone says, Wolverine was possibly the worst movie ever made. With Hugh Jackman. With Ryan Reynolds. With Liev Schreiber. How can a movie with so many hotties fail so utterly and completely?

Music

I listen to stuff from 20 years ago, so I have no comment. Darn kids' music these days sounds like noise to me.

Popular Culture

If Tiger was married to a black woman and his mistresses were black, we wouldn't have heard shit about it.

Twitter really is a good thing. I get a lot of my news from it, as well as tweets from people I don't know, like Ari Melber or Hal Sparks.

Facebook is probably a bad thing, but I like it. Best Facebook crossover tweet ever - "I'm gonna grow pot on my Farmville patch and sell it on Mafia Wars" - unknown.

It's probably not a good thing that Comcast is buying NBC/Universal. This trend in media consolidation has to stop somewhere.

When is the Ugg boot fad gonna be over? For that matter, when did the huge shoulders from the 80s come back?

I miss Paul Newman.
He made me feel good about the world. Especially when I was eating his Raspberry-Walnut dressing.

The food truck trend in LA is most satisfying; especially for my belly. Keep 'em coming. The good ones will stay in business and thrive. Side note, if you haven't tried Kogi yet, do, it's darn good.

The burger trend in LA is a close second. Yum. It's kind of unbelievable how many great burgers can be had in LA these days. Guess I won't be becoming a vegetarian anytime soon.

Molecular gastronomy is here to stay. And a good thing. That shit tastes great.

At least with the economy in the tank, and prices low, I could afford to take a vacation for the first time in seven years.

In closing, in spite of everything, 2009 was a pretty good year. I can't say I'm sorry to see it go, but I am really looking forward to next year. Perhaps Mr. Right will become Mr. Right Now. Let's wish on it.

Comments

GChen said…
I'm a mom, a blogger, and a Ph.D. student, and I need your help. I'm doing a study about why women blog, and you have been selected at random to participate in a short survey about what motivates you to blog and what you get out of blogging.

Here is the link: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/231228/women-bloggers

Thanks in advance for your help. Feel free to contact me at gmmasull@syr.edu if you have any questions.

Gina Chen
Ph.D. student
S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications
Syracuse University

Popular posts from this blog

New Obsession - Citizen Cope

Let's Talk About Sex