Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places

Anyone watching this cycle of The Bachelor? I tuned in because the bachelor this year is Matt from London. And do I have tell you how much I love accents? And London? And dreamy men?

Didn't think so.


Ain't he a cutie?

I've watched the series off and on but stopped about three years ago because the cast of characters never seemed to change. I started watching in the first place to cheer on the BW (if there was one) of the group. And don't think it's escaped me that there has only been one Latina (who won the guy, I might remind you) and no - yes no Asian past the first round. Now I know there have got to be a lot more of our yellow sistahs that want to get in on the white boy action. Usually, the black sistah is gone by round three at the latest, but this cycle has the token still around. Now, don't get your hopes up -- apparently she has a big blow out with the other gals (gawd, could they cast more typical white chicks puhleese!) next week. I expect her to be gone baby gone.


As Cam would say, "no rose for you!"

Now, you know where I'm going with this.... Why are the BW on "typical" reality TV generally portrayed as angry, attitude filled shrews? I won't even go into the Flava of Love and I Love New York shows... Oh. My. God. Could producers please get out of their little minds and find some women of color that are diverse? I'm probably asking too much, considering the WW they pick for these things are pretty standardized (rather than "standard"). I know that the aim of these shows is ratings and advertising revenue, but did it occur to them that actually picking a cross section of eligible ladies with different personalities and cultural backgrounds with looks might actually appeal more to the viewing audience?

I have a radical suggestion - why not a Bachelor cycle with a guy who likes women who don't look like Barbie dolls?

I have not lost my mind.

Although you and I both know that no network would touch it, except maybe Fox, but they'd do it as a joke reality show along the lines of that stinker from a few years ago, "My Obnoxious Fiancee" or some such other nonsense. No, I propose that the guy be in the veins of the other bachelors - relatively good looking, successful, funny with a bit of personality - the proverbial good catch. And the bachelorettes - skinny, curvy, chubby and plus size. Is it possible that weightism really is the last acceptable prejudice in our society? I imagine they (the producers) would say something like, "no one wants to see fat girls looking for love" or "what will we do about the hot tub scenes?" (hint, just start shooting after everybody's in). But if they bothered to take into account the expanding waist lines of most women in the US, they'd find out that it's 14 and not 6. And they would maybe see the logic of having real women looking for love. I'd certainly be more apt to loyally tune in if there were a better cross section of women vying for the bachelor's love. Someone like me.

It's probably just a pipe dream - but right now, dreams are all I have. That and a vibrator.

Comments

Lovebabz said…
I liked this post! Being a woman of stature myself It would be great to see myself in TV land!

(sigh)

Just keep fresh batteries close!
Ndelible said…
Babz~~

Wouldn't it be nice to some of ourselves on the teevee once in a while? It's absolutely amazing that the exes haven't caught on in this time of sliding ratings... Boneheads!

They'll get theirs. And hopefully, I'll get mines!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

New Obsession - Citizen Cope

Let's Talk About Sex