What's A Girl To Do?

I have a dilemma. The other day, during my daily LA Times reading, I came across an article on this guy, Kevin Madden, campaign spokesperson for one Mitt Romney. Yes, that Mitt Romney; the one running for president; the Mormon who won't explain what exactly a Mormon believes. Yup, Mr. Madden works for that Mitt Romney.

But, gawd is Madden a babe!

So, I did what every single gal does when she sees a handsome man and actually knows his first and last name - I Googled him. He was still cute, but thanks for the marvels of technology, I also discovered some not so enticing tidbits about the man. Not only does he shill these days for Romney, but he essentially held the same position for Rep. John Boehner (yeah right, it's pronounced "bainer") and former Rep. Tom De Lay. Normally, a man that cute, that accomplished, that articulate is a shoe-in for Fione Man of the Week, if he was left leaning. I will be the first to admit that generally just being a republican is a deal breaker in my book, but here I was still salivating over the man. Visions of a Mary Matlin/James Carville type hook up danced in my head.

What if I met a guy in real life who holds radically different world views than I? Would we be able to overlook the chasm that would be our political philosophies and relate to each other as human beings? Since I call myself liberal, I like to think that I am open minded and would be able to be attracted to right leaning men, but, I wonder if I really can be.

It's no secret that we are very polarized in today's society. I don't see this changing in the near future. But we must get along to thrive and how is that going to happen if we shout instead of discuss? Are political differences a window into how we live our lives a good indicator for what kind of partner we should seek out? Are we self segregating ourselves based on political leanings? Have we become so intolerant that we can't stand the idea of those close to us having different views? Oh, all of these questions swirled in my head.

Did I mention that he's so very cute?

However, I couldn't possibly spend precious fantasy time on someone who worked for Tom De Lay! Nope, I've got to get a hold of myself. There's no way this guy, or one like him could ever be a good partner for me. He's too heartless; too prejudiced; too callous; too right wing.

After all, it is a question of character.

Comments

Liz said…
I think the Carville/Matlin thing is a fluke. I wouldn't be able to sit in the same room as my husband if he thought black folks just need to get over slavery and people are poor because they choose to be. I'd tear my hair out, and no amount of hot sex could make up for it! LOL!
Lovebabz said…
Liz is so on point. I might find myself in prison for a much longer stay if my husband was that...insepid. Hey Sister, I am back from my 29 day sentence. Good to see you are in rare form!

Popular posts from this blog

New Obsession - Citizen Cope

Let's Talk About Sex