Need I Say More?

I don't consider myself especially technologically gifted. I can get around a computer, the Net, set up the home theatre system decently, but I'm no techie. So, imagine my surprise when I found out that I could publish a blog in under an hour and have it look really good; could have knocked me over with iPod! I hadn't signed up for Gmail earlier because I was a bit suspicious of Google having all of my search history, among other things. Call me cautious, but I'm not liking what our government is doing, why should I give them my life on a silver platter? I was made to feel somewhat better when Google defied the Justice Department's sweeping request for the search habits of potentially millions of people, but still I didn't bite. Oh, and shout out to Qwest for doing the same! What got me was deciding to write my own blog – I had to sign up for Gmail and then Blogger. And ever since that afternoon, I'm one happy junior techie. Let me tell you why.

Heretofore, I only surfed the Net looking occasionally at blogs, mostly going to discussion boards or just shopping. I never made a habit of checking sites regularly, hence my poor posting history on Daily Kos. It was no big deal; I didn't feel like I was missing anything (what you don't know, you won't miss – or something like that). That is, until I started my own blog. I want people to read it. And, I wanted them to start reading it immediately. Where were they? Why weren't they coming? (Now mind you, this was day two of the blog.) I couldn't figure out how people got others to come to their blog. I imagined the key was reading other blogs, posting comments and then getting linked from that blog to your blog; you know, the old daisy chain idea, "and so on and so on and so on…" That presented me with a whole new problem – to find interesting, relevant blogs, read them and then post on them to become a known commenter with her own blog that should be linked to. Okay, find blogs, that's one problem. Actually read posts and comment, a whole other one… How on earth was I going to do that?


Google to the rescue yet again!


If you have not found Google Reader, do so immediately! It is the most wonderful tool on earth for lazy people! All you do is sign in (got that Gmail account, right?) and type in the blogs or websites you wish to have delivered to your iGoogle personalized page. It's that simple. Once you set up your Google page with the content you want (Reader, Calendar, news feeds {NPR, CNN, Fox [?????], LA Times, NY Times} and other fun stuff, like quotes of the day, set it as your homepage (it still has the Google search engine line figured prominently) and the updated posts will come to you! How sweet is that? How amazing is that? Plenty, let me tell you. Oh, and the page also allows you to display your Gmail inbox, so you'll see your mail, your posts and any other information you feel you need to make your life go. Google Reader will so solve the problem of my friends claiming they didn't know there was a new post…


So, I put in the blogs that I know I like and some other sites as well… Bossip.com, TMZ, Huffington Post, Greg Palast.com, freakanomics.com, to name a few that I feel I need to have the latest posts from. I'm still searching for actual blogs to add subscriptions to, but as I find them, that's the first place I'm going to put them! I know that Outlook as well as other email services have newsgroups and RSS feeds (?), but I can't begin to explain how easy Google Reader was. It's so cool and I know I'm only using a small fraction of its capability, but I have to shout from the virtual hills – I LOVE GOOGLE.


Yahoo is sooooo last decade. Hotmail – totally over.


Google Guys, the bazillion dollars you all are making is so well deserved. Keep innovating and protecting our privacy.


I'm feeling lucky.

Comments

Denise said…
I am refusing to use google reader on the grounds that I do not like all of my eggs in one basket or all of my online activities owned by one company. Google owns enough of me, I'm sticking with bloglines as my feedreader. Hopefully I will never be forced to move to google reader. ;-)

(I found you from your BlogHer blogroll description. :-) )
Ndelible said…
denise said... "I am refusing to use google reader on the grounds that I do not like all of my eggs in one basket or all of my online activities owned by one company. Google owns enough of me, I'm sticking with bloglines as my feedreader. Hopefully I will never be forced to move to google reader. ;-)"

I hear ya - putting all the eggs in one basket was the reason I hesitated as well. But see, I'm so human that laziness got the best of me - I love having the feeder & my Gmail right there. Although I'm not totally stupid, I still have my personal emails not feeding to gmail.

I'm guessing that what with all of the crap our gob'ment is up to - these virtual musical chairs we're playing isn't stumping them too much; they're watching!

"(I found you from your BlogHer blogroll description. :-) )"

Oh, it published!! Fabulous. Come on down!!!!!
Liz said…
I figured that the government probably already knew everything there was to know about me...gmail probably won't stop or start that trend. I've never tried google reader before. I just put a "twitter" thing on my blog so I can text updates to my blog in the sidebar. It's pretty fun!

Popular posts from this blog

New Obsession - Citizen Cope

Let's Talk About Sex