4.17.2010

Hello Waking Hours, It's Me

Don't you hate when blogs you follow don't post on a regular basis, whether daily, weekly or monthly? I mean, you begin to know us, expect commentary on current events, trends and new products. You expect insight, humor and snark, right? And here I am, not posting on a regular basis, sitting on my ass dreaming up a future or maybe I like dreamin'. I suppose I haven't felt like I had anything important to say. But who am I kidding? Bloggers of all stripes share the most mundane or hey, profane secrets for the hell knows? Hell, somebody finds that shit interesting, right? And yet, I've not been able to get myself to sit down and write. I sure am glad that I don't write for a living, like I wanted to. I'd be one broke bitch.

Now, I'm a big believer in the killer first line. Used to be, I would actually hear a voice laying out the first two or three lines and I'd go from there. Sometimes, the inner voice was give me more than a few lines and I'd be able to build a poem, story or post from them. I went back and saw that I was fairly prolific year before last when I was quite miserable. It's not that misery is an art form for me, but when you're not happy professionally, can you really be happy about anything else? And the last year and a half? Almost next to nothing in my output of writing, and really very happy professionally. What gives with that? I thought misery breeds creativity.

But what does it matter? Getting it write is so much more important than getting it right anyways.

Random Stuff

So, is there anyone else out there who thinks the uptick in militias is very scary? The funny part is that during the 00s, I was asking where these Constitution loving loonies where while the Bush administration was pissing on it and expanding the powers of government that these same self styled patriots were so enamored of. Of course, when the militias and those tea baggers talk about taking back their country, they are only expressing angst that the brown folk will become the country and they've got to stop that. I mean, brown folk in charge? Oh, that'd be terrible. Just terrible. I'm not as interested in why they're making as much noise as they are, as much as why the traditional media feels to the need to make the rest of us feel as if we're in the minority. I mean, wow, add together all the teabaggers with all of the rallies and I'll even let you double - place count and they don't add up to the number of people who protested against the war. Yet, those protests and those protesters were ignored. Teabaggers? They sneeze and there are four reporters to record it. Something just doesn't seem right about that.

My DVR is full of shows that I catch up on during the weekend. Hmmm, maybe that's why I'm not writing, too busy trying to figure out what the hell they're doing on Lost. Other things on my record list? Cougartown, Modern Family, Flash Forward, Vampire Diaries, Treme, Glee, V, The Good Wife, Justified, Southland.. Oh, I'm not even listing out the off season shows, that, lucky for me, not so lucky for you, Dear Reader, will start up soon and I'll be watching, watching, watching. I used to think that the movies was where the good stuff was being made, but for a while now, TV is where the good stuff is. It's no longer the idiot box.

Well, unless you watch Fox News on a regular basis.

My parenting classes have ended. I kinda wish to find a way to keep getting the information without giving up a lunch a week. In the beginning, the behaviors I was given to counter Cam's behaviors were working. He was better; he began to comply and to use his words to communicate. I was feeling better and I think he was. And then, somewhere along the line, I lost it one time and it's been a battle uphill ever since. Sitting listening to each parent tell their stories – most of them had parents who used corporeal punishment, so the conventional wisdom goes that these parents are simply acting out what they know. Unfortunately, that line of thinking actually makes me feel worse, as my parents weren’t hitters. Now, I’m not saying that I didn’t get some spankings in my childhood, but it was not a big part of my life. Heck, I nearly burned the house down and didn’t so much as have my Barbie impounded! So, what’s my excuse? I’m not sure, but I see that I lose my temper pretty quickly, so why wouldn’t I expect Cam to do the same? I’m not walking away from getting us to a harmonious house, mostly because he goes to kindergarten in the Fall and he’s nowhere near ready. This being a parent thing in the LAUSD is a challenge, to say the very least. Last thing I need is my child labeled unteachable. I’m sure I’ll have a post on trying to find his next school. I hope it’s a short, happy post.

Okay, so now that I’m thinking about all of this, perhaps I am depressed and I don’t know it. So, what’s a depressive to do? Well, go to the movies, of course! We headed out to see How to Train Your Dragon. And boy was it great! I just loved it and can’t wait until it’s out on DVD. It’s gonna be in my library and should be in yours too. And forget that whole funky 3D thing. It’s cute, but really not needed when the story is strong and the characters are worth caring about. A strong recommend.


I have lots of things on my mind. Heck, we all do. I haven't wanted to make any promises for fear of disappointing you as well as myself. But that's boring. Right?



No comments: