11.08.2009

And Precious It Is


Took my lazy ass out of the house for the first time in several weekends and saw "Precious". It was a must-see and I'm so glad I did. I read the book the film is based on, Push, back in the 90s. But I have to admit that I didn't really care for it and had forgotten almost all of the details. What I did take into the theatre was an awareness of the casting brought to my attention by one of my favorite bloggers Los Angelista. Her point on the casting of light skinned actors to play the inspiration roles was well taken. The caring teacher (and her lesbian lover), social worker and nurse are all played by mixed race actors (Paula Patton, Mariah Carey & Lenny Kravitz respectively). I would have been happier if the director had mixed up his cast a little more, but... well, hindsight is 20/20 right?

The film itself makes up for it. The performances (melanin issues notwithstanding) are excellent all around and I expect to see nominations for both Mo'Nique & Gabourey "Gabby" Sidibe.

However, one can't tiptoe around the subject matter of the film. Yes, there's the incest, violence, language, not subjects that American audiences are eager to see in their films. But there's an even bigger turn off - pig's feet! Roomie & I decided to go the Landmark Theatres instead of down the street to Magic Johnson's Theaters. So, instead of screams of "yuck" during the scenes regarding the lesbians, we got gasps at the sight of pig's feet! Now, I've never eaten pig feet's and I'm not planning on it, but really, was that reaction necessary? Perhaps the audience was skewered Jewish, it was the Westside...

Anyhow, the movie one gets my vote, I mean, if I had one for the Academy Awards. It's nothing like Slumdog Millionaire. TV does play a big role in Precious, but trust me, not in quite the same way.

No comments: