7.19.2008

Thoughts on Thoughts

They call me lazy.

Not actually, I call myself lazy. Gosh, am I tired these days. The last couple of weeks, I have been trying to figure out just why no urge to write; no urge to clean; no urge to do. Well, that's now true. I have been doing things. I have been going on little weekend jaunts (two cruises and two weekends in Palm Springs so far) and that's all I've been wanting to do - get away. In the spring, I thought I wanted a party to celebrate my 40th. Now, I'm totally off that idea. Parties don't sound fun to me. Okay, that's not totally true - if someone else would do the planning, the shopping, the cleaning and the paying, I'd be totally for one big, blowout. But, it's up to me - everybody is broke, including yours truly.


I have not wanted to date either. However, I have always wanted a cocktail. Okay, not really the issue - no obvious suspects on the horizon for that either. Doesn't matter - I am still in Mr. Casablanca space - no one quite lights the fire or the imagination. Is this me? Or is this normal? I'm not moping around - just not keyed in where other men is concerned. Now, that doesn't mean that I'm am blind - I sometimes see a fine specimen, but they are very few and very far in between. Should I lose weight - get down to a size 10? I mean, geesh, I would be a force to be reckoned with if I were thinner, right? Or, should I just be and try to find a man who would be happy with me thin or thick? I am perplexed by it all. I am not sure. Perhaps this indecision causes me to be in limbo.

I am a single mom. I don't have a lot of time. I work. I'm tired. Now, I know why my Mom wanted to sleep all the time when I was a kid. It's exhausting being a mother. It's also rewarding and exciting. Being a modern woman is great and confusing. It can also be somewhat of a letdown. It's a real good thing that it's an election year, I have something else to focus on.

Which brings me to the recent New Yorker cover of Barack and Michelle done up as a Muslim and a Black Panther fighter respectively. No, I'm not putting the image up. Now, I am not offended by the cover - I just don't think it's very good satire. And my reason is because the cartoon did not either amplify a truth or widely held impression nor it did contain conflicting images, such as a dogeared Bible, Jeremiah Wright on tape, a cruxific on the wall. Nope, it was not outlandish enough. You know why - some people actually believe the images portrayed. Yes, as ignorant as they are, these folk believe Michelle is a revolutionary and Barack is a closeted member of the mujahideen. In that case, the hyperbole quotient should have much higher than it was. Too bad the New Yorker lost an opportunity to really make a statement. But, I'm very sure that Management is happy with all of the attention. When was the last time the New Yorker was relevant?

So pony up. Give to Barack's campaign. This is our country, but the RNC is far ahead of the DNC in funds on hand, so if you've only got $20; give $10 to Barack and $10 to the DNC - eventually the money will be pooled, but the DNC can't be viewed as so far behind the RNC in fundraising. It's war and this time, we're gonna win!

I got a new Blackberry a couple of weeks ago. For some shiteous reason, my company switched to Nextel last year and gave us, what has to be the worst business pda ever - the 7100i. Not only did we have to contend with crappy Nextel service, it does not have a QWERTY keyboard, a camera or very good net surfing capabilities. After complaining, campaigning, cajoling, some of us got Verizon Curves. So, I got back to a classic Blackberry with a bonus - an integrated camera. Let's not complain that I actually purchased a new digital camera the week before. I figured that I will now be able to take random pictures and post them here. Nothing really funny yet, mostly just random shots, so I'll oblige to close out a weird weekend rant. Blood fortifier? Who knew?

No comments: