4.03.2008

Hairy Scary

Today, Sistah-Gurlfriend Angelista breaks it down on BW hair. To cut or not? To perm or not? To extension or not? To wig or not? Take your pic DR. Being a BW is hard, expensive and painful work. Beauty is pain, right?

Angelista asks should I cut my hair? Well, I did it ten years ago and have never looked back (except in the occasional dream where my hair grows luxuriously long over night). I save so much money and time (SuperCuts & Fantastic Sam's are a short haired girl's best friend!). And, big plus here, I don't care if it's raining or foggy outside. I simply walk right into. As a matter of fact, sometimes I purposely go without a hat, just so I can have the rain and wind in my face -- and without a care in the world, except maybe catching a cold.
However, I will admit that many men have a difficult time accepting short haired ladies. Whatever... Can stop to wait for those babies to grow up, now can we?

After about three years of hair liberation, I discovered wigs. Yes, WIGS. BW and WW wore them all in the time in the 60s & early 70s. I have blond ones, brown ones, black ones, long ones, short ones and medium ones. I adore it. I can change my look at the drop of a hat.... literally. I actually can grow a mane of whatever color hair I wish in the span of 30 seconds. And the best part? The cost! The new synthetic wigs run anywhere from $30-$65 and with care, can last about a year or so. I call that recession-proof thinking; when you don't have money for the beauty parlor, just reach on that closet and whip out, voila, a stunning look for whatever challenge the day holds.

So, I say ladies, free yourself from the tyranny of the hair care industry. Cut it off and give yourself choices!

Here I am today - sporting one of my newest acquisitions - one that even MC commented on. Whaddya think?


3 comments:

Reasonably Happy Gal said...

I love it! It looks great on you. My aunt has one like that she wears to church sometimes. It's a really cute style.

I cut all my hair off 5 years ago. Every now and again, I'll flat iron it. But for the most part, it is what it is. And I'm quite happy with it.

Lovebabz said...

YOU LOOK FABULOUS!

WOW! this is the second post that I have seen on cutting one's hair. Before I had lomg dred locs, I wore my hair scalp short close! And I had a wig or two and I loved it! I am thinking seriously about cutting my hair. hHMMM SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!

Ndelible said...

This wig makes me smile. The compliments for this one have been off the chart. I have made a mental note to buy a few more short styles. It's soooo great and easy. Plus, in the cold weather, it helps to not go out with wet hair.

Woo hoo! It's so easy to be stylish. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about my weave growing out!

Cheers!