11.06.2007

Ready or Not


As I was driving home yesterday, listening to All Things Considered on NPR, like all good wishy washy liberals, I heard a piece on the 2008 presidential race (what else?) and Clinton’s poor showing in last week’s debate. Now, I didn’t see that particular debate – there have been too damn many of them – but I have seen the gotcha moment and the other candidates, namely Obama and Edwards, capitalizing off her rare mistake. The reporter asked if a voter was going to give Obama a second look now. The guy said no; he didn’t think the US is actually ready to elect a black man president.

The would-be voter guy was black.

How do I know you ask? I just do. Besides, reporters never ask white people if the U.S. is ready for a black president; and if they do, it’s not a straight out question. It’s more like, “would you vote for a black man for president?” And what are they going to say – no way, hell will freeze over first? No, that wouldn’t do. Reporters feel free to ask black people if we think white people will vote for Obama; it’s so much “nicer”. You don’t know what you think – we do.

And, apparently, we don’t think you’re ready. We think you’re still too racist, too close minded and too fearful. And because you aren’t ready, dear white folk, we aren’t either. You won’t vote for him, so why should we? I don’t get the logic and I don’t get the point.

I support Obama because he is realistic in this complicated world guided by euphemisms and “interests”. He is inspirational. He is smart. And –this is a big one for me - he’s not a Clinton, a Bush nor a Gore. We’ve been there people – and let me remind you, the scenery wasn’t as pretty as you remember it. If Clinton wins the presidency, that will be almost thirty years of either a Bush or a Clinton in the White House. Have we turned into an aristocracy? Well, almost, but that’s another post for when I have way more time. Nope, I’m all for turning the page of history. I would like to see hope in the eyes of my fellow citizens again. I want us to be proud because we are the best and we are doing the best we can. We are not doing that now. We are a fearful, belligerent bunch of sheep, allowing the veiled powers to lead us where they may.

I say no more. This is our Kennedy moment; we can embrace love and fearlessness or we can retreat further into partisan sniping and fighting. We can do better; we can be better. We are the citizens of the United States of America. This is do or die - believe and follow through or slowly succumb to an empire’s inevitable descent into decay and disorder. I don’t know if the U.S. is ready to elect a black man president; I just know that I am when I believe he is the best man to take us into a braver new world; leaving behind 1984. And with that belief, I will go into the voting booth on whatever date is decided, and punch the name of the person that I want to vote for without thought if someone else cannot vote for him because of the color of his skin.

Are YOU ready?

2 comments:

Liz said...

Very well said. I'm remaining hopeful that people will come to their senses about this election.

Ndelible said...

Liz -

I realize that my comments could stand in for Hillary as well. If she is the Democratic nominee, I'll change the Obama references and repost. I would add that this fallback comment that the US won't vote for a black man seems to give others the excuse not to vote for him. Same is true of Hillary. Let's do this people!!!!